LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime00 View Post
So, I don't understand the point of the vehicle location in the BMW app besides knowing where the car is if YOU gave someone permission to drive it.

If someone steals the car, or car-jacks you, then they can just turn the tracking system off through the I drive menu. Isn't this basically pointless ? Also it seems to update the location when the car gets parked, so it's not even real time tracking fir the owner.

I think GM has a new system where it requires a passcode to unlock settings from within the car like an iPhone and it makes a lot more sense. I'd think BMW would implement a better tracking system especially with the uptick in car thefts. This doesn't seem that difficult to do and I would assume an update would resolve the issue or at least make it more useful.
Are we sure disabling it in iDrive would also disable it from being tracked if stolen? I would imagine these are two separate settings. With only the one in the ConnectedDrive portal potentially turning that off. Which a their couldn’t access without your account details.

For my car the updates do occur while driving and while parked. But I only use it occasionally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
I think a lot of the new features have gone from developing technology to solve a problem or make things significantly easier to having technology and trying to find another use for it.

I permanently turned off the lane departure warning in my car, every time I cross the lane it is because I needed to go around something in the road (most common is delivery vehicles and people parallel parking). I think if I didn't pay attention to what I was doing it would be a lot more useful. Maybe if I was constantly texting people it would be a lifesaver.
On my car you don’t get lane departure warning below 40MPH. It has never activated for me in the scenarios you describe as a result.
Appreciate 0