View Single Post
      06-09-2021, 08:10 AM   #223
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Now for the 5k time goal, what would some of you recommend as far as distances, faster paced days, etc. etc. I'm a glutton for punishment, so running every day, at least a 5k, is not overly difficult and I don't seem to get burnt out, but at the same token I don't want to push my luck in regards to injury. Appreciate the help!
In the past, I have been able to make gains in running pace by doing some type of HIIT at least twice a week. I only say "in the past" because I am at the age now where I am focused primarily on minimizing loss rather than making gains. I also find that varying the type of cardio workouts I do helps dramatically with recovery time. Maybe do spin class once a week, or jump on the rowing machine at the gym.

Furthermore, intensity tends to be higher when in a group setting because there is natural competition and because you are getting constant feedback about how you measure up against others whose performance capabilities are a known entity to you. So find people with similar goals - whether it is a local running club or an exercise facility with group coached workouts of some type.

Finally, pick a race / competition to enter, and decide on a level of achievement that is realistic. This helps put meaning behind your goals other than "just because it would be great to go faster / longer".
Appreciate 0