View Single Post
      11-09-2021, 08:54 AM   #17
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

I had an order for F87 with DCT this summer. I picked this over G80 *just* for the transmission. I was a manual guy all my life and eventually ended up owning a couple of MK7s with DSG due to knee issues. Yes those transmissions are jerky but that adds drama to the whole experience. After TDing, we felt F87 isnt going to meet our needs long term and wasnt practical as well. As a result, i ended up cancelling my order and wait for a G80.

After this, I drove a G80 in Indy M track day this fall and i loved the platform but the only negative is the transmission. It lacks character and drama. But i can understand why BMW is taking this route: Expand their market and reduce development cost. By opting for the ZF, they want to capture the market share of people who want to use these vehicles as performance cruisers. Also by using same transmission architecture across platforms, they can save tons of R&D cost.

I will be getting a G80 in the future and only thing which i dislike in the whole vehicle is the transmission.
Appreciate 0