View Single Post
      10-05-2021, 10:54 AM   #4
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post
I've just had my third track day and owned the car for about 3 months now and I've previously owned and tracked an M2C with the DCT.

The ZF is absolutely not as crisp and snappy as the DCT and because of that it also doesn't feel quite as much "fun" to shift. What I miss mostly from the DCT was the aggressive rev-matching / throttle blips on down shifts and the sharp engine roar associated with it.

With that said, the ZF is still a fast and very effective transmission. It's pretty much bulletproof in terms of reliability and can handle tons of torque for modded cars. For best results and a bit more "fun", I recommend driving it in manual mode, especially on the track.

Losing the DCT is the biggest downfall of the G8x platform in terms of driving dynamics and engagement.

But does it make a difference in terms of performance? Absolutely not. Not unless you're Lewis Hamilton.

I highly recommend test driving one as seeing for yourself if it's a deal breaker. It wasn't for me, even though I'm very much track oriented.
this hits the nail---

All the purists may howl but for the streets, the ZF is just fine. Of course the TCU programming that BMW has makes the hardware that much better.

I have had maybe 25 DCT's in my life and still have 2 while 2 others are ZF and one is a nutso MCT. And one other has only one gear (shhhhhhhhhh- no one knows but its faster than shit)

Quote:
But does it make a difference in terms of performance? Absolutely not. Not unless you're Lewis Hamilton.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0