10-05-2021, 07:37 AM   #2
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrandt View Post
This is mostly for the crowd who've swapped from an automatic F-chassis to the G-chassis.

For those of you that've driven your automatic G8Xs for a while, do you find yourself missing the something from the DCT? How's it feel driving in paddles-only? Any weird hangs with the TC?

I absolutely adore the DCT and all of its aggressive quirkiness. Worried about going to a TC, regardless of what the ZF performance figures state.
I've just had my third track day and owned the car for about 3 months now and I've previously owned and tracked an M2C with the DCT.

The ZF is absolutely not as crisp and snappy as the DCT and because of that it also doesn't feel quite as much "fun" to shift. What I miss mostly from the DCT was the aggressive rev-matching / throttle blips on down shifts and the sharp engine roar associated with it.

With that said, the ZF is still a fast and very effective transmission. It's pretty much bulletproof in terms of reliability and can handle tons of torque for modded cars. For best results and a bit more "fun", I recommend driving it in manual mode, especially on the track.

Losing the DCT is the biggest downfall of the G8x platform in terms of driving dynamics and engagement.

But does it make a difference in terms of performance? Absolutely not. Not unless you're Lewis Hamilton.

I highly recommend test driving one as seeing for yourself if it's a deal breaker. It wasn't for me, even though I'm very much track oriented.
Jimjamz4583.00
PVC156.00
Puuhapete145.00