Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Automotive Enthusiast View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank.m2 View Post
This is an interesting discussion.

Always thought it's a balance between catering to the car enthusiasts vs "brand enthusiasts". Sway too far to the car enthusiasts and they don't make money. Sway too far to the brand enthusiasts and you lose your identity. I think we all know where BMW is at.

Granted it seems like the entire industry is heading to that direction, automation, ease to operate, etc.

Now I'm not going the say the BMW or M badge doesn't mean anything when it comes to the cachet of owning such car, but I would not buy a car with a BMW or M badge without the content of what it meant to have that badge.
It would be great if the M Division was made it's own stand alone sub brand so we could see what those engineers can do without having BMW bean counters breathing over their shoulders. To me, that would really bring some class back to what M use to stand for. I think the M divisions identity over the past couple years as gotten murkier and murkier.
The M division could not and would not build its own car... all of their cars are based off off bmw's. They are a car "tuner" in house and not a manufacturer.