HudsonHornett
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CSL, BMW X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonHornett View Post
So I've been thinking about the reviews and this car a lot. It reminds me of the reviews we saw back in 2011 for the Cayman R. The weight of expectation because the car carried the R badge was ridiculous but the car itself was sweet. A sensational bit of kit, that for me was a great road car and brilliant on track.

This car is suffering from being named CSL, but if you read all of the reviews so far, it's clear that this is a genuinely brilliant car. It doesn't break your back while getting to the track, you can enjoy it on the track and it's everyday usable.

The hate this car gets for looks is bizarre. It really looks fine IRL. The new 992 GT3 looks like it's try to puke a smaller car out of the front of it but nobody mentions that and to be fair I think it's more than bearable too!
A CSL badge isn't to be taken lightly for sure. The CSL badge is supposed to be an unquestioned success. History is on the line with a CSL. You pay for it's badge and in this case you pay handsomely. You expect it to blow your away. 50th anniversary car. Did it? I'm sure the owners will say yes. It will be interesting to see how many deals fall through at over MSRP now. MSRP is the right price for this car. It will be interesting to see where she lands price wise in 4 years time.

Looks are always subjective for sure. I don't mind the looks, I do mind the size of cars in general these days. I think the 992 GT3 looks more offensive then this car. But the size of both cars just made me buy a 964 and a GT4 RS.

We can never go back in time and these manufacturers are working within the lines they are dealt. I just don't like where the lines are headed.

The last great playful and sized right M car IMO is the M2 CS and the last great 911 IMO is the 991.2 GT3 Touring. I am lucky enough to own them both. Yes I'm biased

But fear not, when we see the M4 CSL on the road we will stare and ask questions and most likely enjoy what we have just seen. We get to enjoy but don't have to pay for the right to do so.

It's a great effort by BMW and I applaud them for it. I might have changed a few things for sure but can't please everyone.
Great post! Cars are going in the wrong direction for me too! But I genuinely believe that this car has the potential to nail the brief that I want it to fulfil.