05-31-2021, 06:48 PM   #103
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Agreed! A company like BMW has to weigh the risks: continue to build something completely for older customers and risk losing future investment or build something that will alienate some older clients/customers (…which happens all of the time regardless), but bring in fresh buyers who will help substantiate the company and keep it solvent longer (…while still appealing to some of the older clientele who adapt to change a bit better). Look how many came to BMW once they went turbo, for example?!? Purists moaned, but the E9X/F3X/F8X sold and sold and sold.
I believe that BMW fans are a "to the core" bunch and they still hope and try to accept the new product. Many forcefully induce a "it will grow on me" sentiment just because they are long time fans. But that's not okay. As a designer, if i would read that I will accept in my inner soul that I have failed. BMW engineering succeeded. Design failed.
A continuous slap in the face will eventually push them out. You know, like in a relationship. You can try to make it work but "it takes two to Tango".

I have seen however many that left the boat. No joke.
All I learn is that repeat business is the core of any business. New customers are good, but losing old because you believe that new ones will rule, its wrong. The new ones don't have the same loyalty. Plus, many new ones are coming to the brand due to newer less expensive vehicles.

In regards with the Turbo, people came to BMW because of other things. Turbo was the solution for 2000cmc tax bracket in Europe not because of the technology. Everybody did the same so BMW fans accepted the reality. But that was an outside the brand decision.

I am not happy about the new mild hybrid technology either with a second battery. Maybe I will not keep the car because of that. Don't know yet.

But I am looking to buy a 80's Mercedes and settle because all new shit is too much for me and electric is out of my acceptance.

Last edited by Teutonic; 05-31-2021 at 07:16 PM..
Appreciate 0