09-30-2022, 03:46 PM   #6
DVG 335
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23 M3 Comp XD & 22 X3 XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfit View Post
Ouch. Sorry that happened. Been there. Each state has different laws. I would start with googling "diminished value claim STATE".
1000000000% look into diminished value. There are attorneys that specialize in it. Normally they will negotiate with the insurance company and get some type of settlement.

In my case, maybe three years ago, someone backed into my wife's SUV and admitted fault. I (without an attorney) tried to negotiate with the insurance company for a diminished value settlement over and above the costs to fix the car. They had "never heard of that before". From there, I heard that CT had an arbitration program for auto insurance. I actually took the insurance company to arbitration and won. Fast forward a couple of months for the payment deadline and I got nothing. I called the lawyer representing the insurance company and they said they were not going to pay and they were taking me to "real" court to attempt to appeal the decision. I attempted to get an attorney at that point, but nobody was really interested in representing me at that stage. They all said I should have contacted them first, before seeking arbitration.

The rationale behind all of the grief the insurance company put me through is that they do not want to lose a DV case in court and have that on the record. They would rather settle out of court and have you sign an NDA.

On an M3, I would assume the DV figure would be a material number, so definitely at least reach out to an attorney to see what they have to say.
Appreciate 11
kiw1617.00
TheOne26.50
JMD628.50
gnolivos306.00
PABrian149.50