View Single Post
      04-19-2021, 11:42 AM   #134
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by killhour View Post
I think you're taking this a little personally. Badges are absolutely status symbols - that's what they're for. People want an M on the back of their car because they want to show off wealth. It's the same reason BMW painted them neon yellow and put a massive grille on the front - it says "look at me, I'm rich." Lots of people want and like that. Lots of people think it's gauche. Personally, I want the loud, ridiculous car with a thousand badges because I'm going to lean into it. I think it's hilarious and I kind of want it to be even more over the top. Give me a bosozoku exhaust and a pink paint job.

There is one thing that does come off universally in poor taste though - and that's when you complain that people don't look up to you enough for having money. The 90s are over and nobody thinks having more money means you're smarter or harder working than them. Athletes are often an exception because they don't tend to come from family money and actually becoming an athlete is a one in a million lottery ticket. Even still, professional athletes get a ton of hate and are under a microscope at all times. Ditto for actors and music artists or whatever. It's cool to spend your money on things you personally enjoy and it's cool to lean into that. It's not cool to think you're owed admiration by people who are having a tough time putting food on the table.
Who ever said "look up to me" also never said admiration.

Aspire to do well is what I said. And I would think everyone should want that. But twist words like the media, good job.
Appreciate 0