View Single Post
      04-12-2021, 01:57 PM   #11
alan7467
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 Sketchers

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohw View Post
The 987 is the most engaging because it's loud, noisy and you are always getting road feedback in the steering. The car is very sensitive to tire balancing.

If you felt the base Cayman had to be pushed was it from lack of power or because of the tall gearing? Base 982 is going to feel faster around town and through normal corners than a 981 or 987. Plus you can get another 50hp/tq out of them with a tune which really puts them ahead.

If you liked the M2c and said to yourself I want a 2 seater of this but just slightly less raw feeling for every day use then the Supra is what you get. But no manual so I don't think it'll make it on your list.
Thanks for the insight strohw.

When driving the 718 base PDK I found the throttle very unresponsive and the power pretty lacking at low RPMs even when compared to the MK7 GTI I had at the time as well as the ND Miata I had recently sold. Selecting sport mode didn't seem to help much with this. It's worth noting that I'm at Denver altitude (around 5,700'). Which certainly doesn't help with turbo lag and perceived performance at lower revs on some low displacement cars. My MK7.5 Golf R suffers from some of this too with it's larger turbo and more pronounced lag.

When I drove the Cayman I was looking to use it as a daily driver as well as a canyon carver. I came away feeling like it would be a good fit for the latter, but not the former (at least for me). Thus as a 2nd car it's still a platform I would consider. Unfortunately I just don't have the garage space for an extra car right now. So I've been shopping for a do everything sports car.

Regarding the Supra being auto only: I'm actually viewing this as a plus for my use case. If I were to get a M2 today it would be DCT. At only 41 years old I've developed a left knee injury from years of abuse. Unfortunately it often bothers me the most when driving a manual trans car because of the clutch work.

Best wishes,
Alan