advantage20
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
A few good points made. But this one I have a question:

Apparently I have to categorize myself into the "average buyer" as I'm honestly not aware of the key difference between the M xDrive and the none M except for the obvious integration with the electronic M differential which the company has touted for generations with the RWD cars already. Is there anything I missed with the M?

Also, Audi the competitor hasn't been trying to differentiate (on a marketing level) the mechanical AWD found with FM longitudinal engine layout cars, from the electronic AWD with transverse engines. Audi calls both Quattro, despite of essential differences.
By "it" I was actually referring to Audi's Quattro as being consistently named by random drivers as what they believe the benchmark 4WD system on the market is; not to M xDrive vs regular xDrive (I've since edited my post to eliminate the potential ambiguity). I'm probably unaware of most subtleties of M xDrive myself and have just assumed here that its 2WD/4WD switchable drive alone already makes it special enough for BMW that they won't put the regular xDrive badge on their M cars.

And yes, I was actually going to name Audi as a prime example of how to use a well-established brand (i.e. Quattro) for selling vastly different technical solutions, then realized BMW themselves are already using the xDrive brand for quite different systems technically and philosophically... But why then the badge omissions on the M models equipped with M xDrive? Might it be one of the other potential reasons I've mentioned?

Last edited by advantage20; 04-19-2021 at 04:47 AM..
Appreciate 1
SeanWRT3179.00