View Single Post
      04-01-2024, 10:13 AM   #42
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I've never gelled with the macan. Had plenty of seat time in them as I've had probably 8-10 as loaners throughout the years. Have had base and S. Driven Turbo but not the newer GTS.

Last month I had a Macan loaner and it was still running the old PCM 5 and it was brand new! Couldn't believe it. PCM 6 is old enough tech as it is, are they still really shipping Macan's with PCM 5?

In any event, the car is too small for my family. We are all tall. My 14 year old is the shortest at 5'6", my wife is 5'10", I'm 6'2" and my son is 6'5". So macan is WAY too small. Back seat legroom is practically nonexistent with my wife and I in the front. Even with her squished forward, my son barely has room behind her, and I have to slide forward to make room for my daughter.

My favorite macan has been a Sport. I think it's been replaced by the T but it was a base 4 cylinder with sport suspension and tuning. I thought it was a fun little pocket rocket; reminded me of a grown up Golf R. But it was like $65k, which is a lot for a 4 cylinder Macan. The PDK...I've never gelled with it. As someone said it's a VW unit and that makes sense; it reminds me of the DSG in my GTi. Pretty recalcitrant around town, especially in the 6 cylinder models. It's also based on the original Q5 architecture, IIRC, and the platform is pretty long in the tooth.

Still, it's sold well, I think because it's a good size and price point for many people. I hear the new GTS is quite the nimble little thing; Porsche does know how to extract magic out of a platform, that's for sure. I recall The Smoking Tire (both Zach and Matt) being impressed as hell by one. And for sure it's the most nimble SUV you can buy with perhaps the exception of the Stelvio, but I have no experience with that.

So am I sad to see it go? Kinda. But I'm honestly more excited with it's replacement. I bet it's gonna drive like a champ.
I am not sure I understand people's comments on the leg room (back seat) unless you guys really like the driver's seat pushed waaaaay back. Yesterday, I had my family, wife and 2 (out of 3) daughters in the car. My 20yo 5'10" was in the seat behind me and not even touching my seat (I am 6'0" 180 lbs).
Last week, while in Shanghai, we (5 adults, the 3 of them in the back seat were smaller size) went out to dinner and everyone was very comfortable.

I have driven the Q5/SQ5 many times and the Macan feels completely different to me. The handling, the firmness/tightness is something else. I also like the design of the Macan over the Q5.
Appreciate 1
Draper3467.00