01-13-2023, 10:11 PM   #1
Ninetres
2023 Fire Orange M3 Jahre
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Fire Orange Jahre

OEM M4 CSL Grill with M3 Competition Badge -- *How-To* DIY

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
This is doable, but NOT a simple plug/play. You gotta earn it.

Parts:
OEM M4 CSL grill 51138085968
OEM side badge 51138076996
X-acto knife
Single edge razor
Black gloss vinyl wrap
Double sided tape
Trim tools and/or computer spudger set
Masking tape
GENTLE adhesive remover
Bourbon
Profanity

To start with, The OEM M4 CSL badge is essentially PART of the grill itself. It is NOT applied with double sided tape as most badges. I basically taped off the edges of the badge area, to use for leverage with a trim tool, to "bust" them off of the grill. Each letter is attached with a few small, red plastic tabs. As far as I can tell, there is no way to remove them from the back, and they must be popped off with force. Be careful not to scratch anything. I ended up preferring a spudger tool from a cheap amazon computer repair kit. They are basically small, metal, mini-trim-tool-looking tools.

Once all of them pop off, you'll notice all of the unsightly dozen or so red dots, in addition to several small rectangle shaped depressions in the badge area. The "M3competition bade", which is sourced from an OEM side badge (~$35+shipping), does NOT cover all of these. I considered dropping some touch-up paint in them, but apparently I trashed the black one I had from a previous Audi. Even then, they will still be minorly visible if you look close, although doubtful a casual gawker would notice. A new idea came to me--install a small piece of black gloss vinyl wrap in the area. Luckily, one shop near me I've frequented for various things over the years was happy to do this for some lunch money. REALLY happy with how that came out. He, intentionally, didn't attempt to press the vinyl into all of the dots and depressions. Came out smooth, and as long as I don't get too carried away with the pressure washer I anticipate it will hold up just fine and not be TOO big of an issue if I need to re-do it in years to come.

The most fun part? Reapplying some double-sided tape to the tiny M3 badges you robbed from the OEM side badge. The "3" was a major PITA for my fat fingers......fresh X-acto knife, fresh razor etc. Also--You have to carefully razor off the silver block next to the "c" in competition so that it fits properly.

The good luck getting them all stuck down perfectly straight. Perhaps you have smaller fingers than me, and a studier hand. I'm happy with how mine came out, despite not being 1000% perfect. They appear to me to be close enough that nobody will notice once they are on the car, but I'm pretty OCD and will concede they are not titty perfect.

The red vinyl surrounds peel off fairly straight forward, but does leave some pesky residue. Be careful what product you use to remove the adhesive. I tested some goof off on the back, and it essentially melted the plastic lol.

Shout out to khalua80 who has this setup on his G80 (SICK car). He was super helpful in the DMs about his experience. Figured I'd make a quick thread in case anyone else wonders down this path, as not many have as far as I've seen.

Install to come in a week or two, and I'll reserve the post below for proper before/after pics (along with the MP CF lower inlets). Cheers.
Attached Images

Appreciate 16
chicagofan0019141.50
spridge646.00
khalua80768.00
FISH225402.50
V1L3430.50
2011ninja3396.00
M3 boi3211.00
jpf3409.00
JDUNITNOW3502.50
dezzracer1182.50