01-08-2023, 05:10 PM   #18
eddiehaug
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
I saw a good section of the keynote and all I was left with is a bunch of nothing. They spoke a lot and said absolutely nothing.

The mimicky thing with the car changing colors is something they showed with the iX as well, and nobody in their right mind would buy a car with that kind of panels, unless they have an unlimited amount of money for paying for the insurance for a car with that tech. Cool, but way too expensive in the real world.

The HUD on the windshield? I saw a video and it looks like the most distracting thing someone could envision after their idea of removing almost all physical buttons from their cars. And it will make it even more expensive to replace a damaged windshield.

I'm not against tech, I work for a tech company and I spec my cars with all the features available, but my experience so far is that their "amazingly cool" iDrive 8 software and hardware is by no means better than iDrive 7's software and hardware. Now it's cumbersome and generally more difficult and distracting to perform simple actions such as adjusting the AC or warming the seats, and you need more steps for pretty much everything.

On the other hand, the insulation of the driver's door in the i4M50 is inferior than in the G20, there is more road noise and your feel the cold enter the cabin. No double-glassed window, awkward boot-opening position, less space in the interior, etc. All this in a car that, judging from BMW's vision, was going to be really cool and new, but in reality is just a worse version of a G20 (but with softer dampers).

I love the brand and I really wanna get excited, but so far nothing of what they have shown is better than what it already exists. Tech is fine, but if I wanted a stupid German Tesla I'd get one.

Previous BMWs: 330e Touring xDrive (G21, 2021), 330e (G20, 2019), 530e (G30, 2018).
Appreciate 2
KoenG1428.50