01-07-2023, 03:26 PM   #14
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
I don’t know what the future is for BMW and the Neue Klasse. I’m not agreeing or disagreeing with you but and a lot of people are hung up on the technology part of the car like it’s the only differentiating factor. Is it going to be a significant and likely the main factor for most people? Absolutely, but BMW isn’t walking away from trying to make a driver-oriented car and just make the internet on four wheels. The i4 is good example of this.

I don’t agree with people saying all EVs will feel more/less the same. The i4, etron GT, Taycan, even the EQS all feel different in their own way and different than Tesla. Will there be less differentiating from one EV to another than ICE cars? Yes but it’s not all going to be vanilla.

Will the traditional aspects of a car take a back seat to all this tech? 100% but doesn’t mean I won’t look at one OEM over the other. There are going to be differentiating factors like there are today with ICE cars.

If the i4 is anything to go by, that and the unknown of what the Neue Klasse is going to bring is very exciting for me and lot of other people.
I understand, but my i4, doesn't even have adaptive cruise contol, no lane assistance, no blind spot detection, and a stereo sound of a cheap portable radio (thank God it has DAB+). They also removed most of the buttons on the dash, probably because a touch screen is cheaper. Now I have to work on my target precision to hit the right stuff on the screen while driving... need some additional practice.

Nevertheless, it still drives like a proper BMW. So I admit, tech is important, but instead of bragging about what they dream that their prototype can do in the future, they should bridge the gap they even still have now in their i4.

I also understand this is CES, but a few years back, BMW would communicate about their new most important platform in another way and on another place. It clearly indicates that their priorities have changed. To me, the priority is entirely not what they presented here, it will become commodity and with cheaper integrated and high performing micro-chips and smarter integrated kernels with Android/iOS connects, this transition will most certainly happen.

But it's not BMW that is leading this battle and can claim exclusivity, it's too small as a company, and it's not their experience, every startup car company has access to this tech and can integrate it. And it will also get integrated in much cheaper, none premium cars, just because much of what they present also results in cheaper assembly.
Appreciate 0