View Single Post
      05-29-2021, 01:48 PM   #147
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Carbon Fiber Bucket Seats [CFBS]

Based on what little time I have spent in the stock seats, they seem fantastic; if I had them, I am confident I would be more than satisfied with them. Nonetheless, having extensive ‘seat time’ with the CFBS, I could not be happier with my purchase decision.

1. It seems largely agreed upon by G80/82 owners that the CFBS are both comfortable and extremely effective toward restraint/bracing. Although most apparent during spirited driving, I enjoy how the seats ‘mold you into place’ on all occasions.

For reference, I am 6’ tall and 175lbs and have zero issues whatsoever with the prominent bolstering . . . I doubt an individual with a 'large' body habitus would find CFBS bolstering as enjoyable as the stock seats. I will not try and define what is ‘too large,’ as that is something each individual will have to determine for themself.

2. Perhaps the greatest ‘displeasure’ expressed is associated with entry and egress due to the large lower bolsters. If you are an individual with extremely large thighs well, again, I would suggest opting for the stock seats.

I am not going to insult anyone’s intelligence by going over 90-degree entry/egress but will say this technique is essential. Even for those accustomed to such technique from prior experience with sport seats, the G80/82 CFBS represent an extreme ‘bolster obstacle’ . . . still, an obstacle that is easily remedied.

The top pic below is my set driving position. You can see the ‘gap’ between the side and lower seat bolsters is quite small. If entry and egress are attempted, no way around having to ‘ride’ the top of the lower bolster. Not much of a problem ‘falling’ into the seat (entry) but can be quite a task ‘climbing’ over and out (egress).

The remedy is extremely simple. As shown in the second pic below, you simply have to recline the seat. This opens up the ‘gap’ so that you no longer have to ride the side bolster; your thigh will rest low and relatively comfortably between the side and lower bolsters. Two memory control buttons allow easy access to driving and entry/egress positions.

3. Finally, there is some negativity expressed regarding the central bolster (bottom pic), particularly with regard to its hindrance with manual shifting (clutch use).

Unless you have extremely large thighs that do not comfortably fit between the side and central bolsters, I cannot imagine how anyone would find them intrusive or uncomfortable? Still, some may. Personally, I really like how the central bolster provides a nice ‘molded’ feeling on my thighs in conjunction with the side bolsters.

While I own a G80C, there are a fair number of complaints pertaining to the central bolster when it comes to clutch use, e.g., clutch leg ‘rubbing’ against the bolster. With an extensive MT history, I must admit that this would likely prove true and extremely annoying over time. Something I would consider very carefully with regard to G80/82 MT purchase.

///AVM
Attached Images

Last edited by ///AVM; 05-30-2021 at 07:37 AM..
Appreciate 4
chicagofan0019278.00
bri10426094.50
kurosagi1123.00
pateke267.00