View Single Post
      04-05-2021, 08:59 AM   #65
dgm3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E36/E46 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by j23 View Post
Thank you for completely missing the point and reading between the lines.

I cleared stated that I wanted to get rid of my e46 M3 for a 4-door M car, but persuaded myself that I don't really need one and opted for the M2C instead. In hindsight, it was not a good move because I desired a 4-door all along.

As far as old M cars go, I probably have more experience driving old M cars than most people on this board.

I owned an e36 M3 and e46 M3 simultaneously for over a decade. I jumped ship to M2C, which in my book was a better car in every single way compared to the other two. Frankly, I don't understand the fascination with old M cars. New M cars are just better. Better handling, better looking, more refined, more powerful, etc. are all pluses in my world. The 200-400 lbs difference in weight between my M2C and my old M cars is something I never felt. In fact, despite the added weight, the M2C handling was in a league of its own.

I know it's not a popular thing to say around here and most people hate to admit it, but new M cars are better than old M cars in many ways. Period. I have no doubt the G80 is better in every way vs the F80. Fanboys will disagree and that's ok.

At the end of the day, low mileage F80's should be $50k tops. I see way too many of them sitting at $60k+ for months now. Anybody crazy enough to buy one for that price instead of a new G80 probably deserves one.
New M cars better looking... really ? G80/G82 better looking than E46 M3 ?
Steering feel, connection to the road, engine soul and eventually driver engagement are much better in the old M cars. They are key elements in the fun factor especially on open roads.
I still own, all from new, 1996 E36 M3(Euro version ie with the real M engine), 2005 E46 M3 and 2018 M2C. From time to time on Sunday I drive the 3 cars one after the other on the same twisty roads ...The M2C is obviously the fastest and has a great chassis but it's the 2 others who are putting the biggest smile on my face .
...but yes I get maintenance and repair costs on old M cars can be a nightmare
Appreciate 0