M_Adaptive
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 2022 G82 M4 AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-san View Post
Hi all,

I went to the dealership yesterday to have them look at a few parts I want installed including an exhaust valve controller and spacers. They initially said they could install both no problem in an hour (1 hour labor) which I thought was very reasonable. They are going to call me on Monday and fit me in so I can wait for it while they do the work. I said cool and I was back in my car and ready to leave.

As I'm getting ready to pull out of the service bay area, my SA and another gentlemen who turns out to be the service manager stops me and wants to chat for a min about the spacers.

He said he would strongly advise against spacers because they can cause warped rotors. His logic was that with spacers the wheels are no longer sitting flush on the hubs and are more reliant on the lugs and nuts to stay attached to the vehicle. In other words, when you put spacers on, you are putting more pressure on the lugs because the wheels are sitting beyond the hub.

Is this true? I've never heard this and the spacers I have actually have a little extension so that the hub area where the wheels sit is actually extended as well. So my initial thought is that what he is saying is not true.

But experience would be the real test as to whether what he was saying was true. Has anyone run into issues with warped rotors while running spacers?

Thanks,
Shaun
100% true. It happened to me with my E92. It most likely won’t cause any issues but if you ever have brake problems, your SA can tell you because you have an aftermarket part on the part that is having the issue we cannot rule out that the aftermarket part is causing the problem therefore we cannot cover it under the warranty. Once they do that they put in DCS which is their system that has all BMW records. It is now marked in red so any dealer will immediately see what the SA said about the brakes. I was very pissed when this happened and never ran spacers again. So yeah it can happen.
2022 G82 M4C Xdrive
Appreciate 0