prei1978
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i xDrive Conv.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post
Looks like she likes to play. This is what BMW does so well and Porsche doesn't really get.
That's the thing. Porsche has a philosophy that is followed well in each of its products: its cars are very clinical and precise. Also from my experience, they are very flattering.

Back in 2006 I bought a Z4MC. When I was considering it, I considered also the Cayman, which I saw as a similar car. My Porsche dealer back in London offered me a track test drive in Chobham and while I drove the cars (Cayman and Boxter) all he kept talking about and demonstrating was how effective the electronics were at keeping me on the road. The BMW on the other hand was an edgy car that felt ready to do a 180 out of a wet corner on the slightest of provocations. I liked that. It was never a relaxing car to drive, but every mile in it felt like an event.

The M4 CSL is not a practical daily car. It has no rear seats, it has reduced creature comforts, and it will be very expensive to run and maintain. Yet for me, it is an extremely appealing car.

That plus the fact that if I walk into any Porsche dealership today and ask if they will sell me a GT car they will laugh me out of their shop mercilesly. At least I had a CSL offered to me. It was out of my price range with a $50K markup, but it was offered.
Appreciate 10