CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by weingarm View Post
Actually I believe they are the same physical lighting units as the European version but are "detuned" in USA to produce the strongest light beam permissible here (which I've read is HALF as bright as the maximum allowed in Europe).

When new US regulations are passed to allow full strength brightness, manufacturers will be able to recode laser lights to full strength.
It's not only a question of btightness, it's also a question of variable light distribution, which the DOT prohibits.

European manufacturers have significantly evolved headlight technology while US manufacturers have not. In a few articles I've read, it is rumored that the DOT is holding back in allowing the new tech to avoid giving an "advantage" to imports. Transport Canada, which usual mirrors the DOT, swayed away a few years ago permitting variable light distribution, but sadly most manufacturers only give us the US lights.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0