View Single Post
      10-20-2020, 09:42 AM   #8027
macadamia9
XK Red 27 Technique
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 M40i

Talking My nw welding table!

Well, the absolutely last thing I bought was a sandwich from Jimmy John's, but my last major purchase was this welding table. It is a made in USA, Certi-flat FabBlock FB3030 and has a base kit with casters that I have not built yet. I followed the directions to a tee and have had a bit of an issue with the top not being completely flat. I had to cut out the welds between the frame and the top and will attempt to reinstall the top flipped over. The manufacturer says this should take care of the flatness issues and if not, they will ship me a new table!

I'm just learning how to MIG and TIG weld, and I have not stick welded since 1990.

Photo 1: Action shot of me tack welding part of the bottom of the table on the temporary workbench. These are the support ribs and sides that give the table it's very rigid and flat construction.

Photo 2: Assembly complete, need to check for flatness and adjust as necessary. I had issues here so I had to remove the top.

Photo 3: Using a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel to cut the welds between the tabs of the table underside and the slots in the table top.

Photo 4: Tapping the top off with a small 3 lb. sledge hammer.

Photo 5: Moving the top off of the temporary workbench.

Photo 6: The table support structure after removing top.

Photo 7: Close-up of the support structure tabs before grinding out the rest of the welds to dress up the tabs to reinstall the top.

Photo 8: The top of the removed top. This will become the new bottom of the top.

Photo 9 The bottom of the removed top. This will become the new top of the top.

Photo 10: Close-up of the damage caused by using a larger cut-off wheel on my 4.5" angle grinder. These will ultimately be on the bottom of the top and I'll do some weld fill-in after the table is reassembled and welded out.

Photo 11: Close-up of the same area in Photo 10 but on the other side.

I have all of the tabs dressed on the table support structure and started to file down some high spots that I found. I hope to dry-fit the top today and if I can get it flat, weld it out. If not, I'll wait until the new one comes.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
King Rudi13152.00
vreihen1614906.00