Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
My plasma finally took a shit today so I called an industry friend and arranged for him to bring over a Sony X950H this week.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x950h
I am currently looking at 82" and 85" TV options from Sony and Samsung. This exact model is on my short list.
Which size did you get? How are you enjoying it so far?
I bought a 75" and while I haven't been able to get a calibrator over to dial it in perfectly, I'm very happy with the performance out of the box. I bring up out of the box performance because that's a significant differentiation between Sony and Samsung; where Sammy's have a greater "need" to be calibrated as they don't seem be be as close to "correct" straight out the box as a Sony XBR. I'm also completely happy with the 950H's motion handling.

Be aware that TV technology is pivoting towards HDMI 2.1 that will be prevalent in 2021 models. I'd put the purchase off for 6-12 months for next year's models if you have the luxury (I didn't), and care enough. Expect to see new sets debuted in January, with shipments starting in Q1 sometime. Just be careful not to get tunnel vision about HDMI 2.1 in 2020 models... Sony offers this capability on their lower 900H model, but I contend the 950H is a better choice anyway as the 900H lacks Sony's best X1 Ultimate processor like the 950H.

Prices on TVs are refreshed every week (Sunday), so without having access to the closely-guarded pricing schedule price is a bit of a gamble. Black Friday and the Christmas shopping season is when TVs are priced the lowest, with some close out promotions around the Super Bowl being the second-best time to find a low price.

I suggest to my friends that they buy a TV from someplace with a favorable return policy, as every individual unit can have slightly different panel performance and you want to be protected if there's dead pixels or other visible imperfections. If you're not going to choose a custom integrator to white glove the sale and installation, I suggest Amazon or BestBuy because *I think* they make exchanges easy. If your set is simply delivered to your door closely inspect the shipping carton for damage before accepting delivery. Do not blindly sign without inspecting!!!!!

Hope this helps.