11-21-2021, 01:08 PM   #56
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
If you aren’t going to track it or launch it… what are you going to do with it?
I would absolutely track a G80 if given the opportunity. However, a HPDE event means you are battling yourself lap to lap trying to become a better driver. In that scenario, you are not racing someone else. Therefore, the 1/2 second gained by having the AWD version won't "win" you anything since you are 1/2 second faster every time either way. That was my only point with that comment, I guess.

Then again, if I'm being honest, I don't know if I'd really track my own G80 if I owned one as a daily driver. When I took my old M240i to a BMW CCA HPDE, I cooked the brakes nicely (even with Motul fluid) and turned the beautiful blue calipers to a nice dark purple. The track pads were noisy and clunky for street use, and it was a major PITA having to swap them out just for one track event. The tire shoulders were damaged as well because the car really didn't have enough camber or rubber for track use. The car also took some cosmetic damage to the front end from rubber chunks and other track debris. I was reminded again why a road car is a road car and track car is a track car.

Next time, I'll just pay for a M school event so I can tear up someone else's BMW instead of my own. Or I'll buy a real dedicated track car w/ a simple NA engine and low running costs...