View Single Post
      12-06-2021, 12:09 AM   #491
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2022m3x View Post
I’m pretty new to this kind of stuff so sorry in advance if this is a dumb question.
Planning to do a resonator delete but am worried about warranty of the vehicle. From what I’m understanding, as long as I don’t touch the primary cats there shouldn’t be any warranty issues correct?
Also, would there be a specific department to call at my local bmw dealer or would I just ask my service advisor for warranty information like this?
Removing the primary cats found in the downpipes allows for more power, which BMW can attribute to if something really catastrophic happens, and even then - they'd have to prove that your removal of the cats is what caused any sort of issue. For example: if there's some issues with your suspension, they can't blame the catless downpipes for that.

Removing the resonators in the midpipe may introduce some power, but it's rather insignificant, so it's safe to say there wouldn't be any repercussions for removing them from a warranty standpoint.

BMW SA will say this: leave it stock, and don't touch anything if you care about your warranty. Many SA's are chill, and many are not - but at the end, if there's some serious warranty work that needs to be done, BMW does need to approve it and they will look to stiff you and blame whatever they can on the issue that will save them money. S55 crankhub stories haunt me sometimes, so I'm genuinely not interested in heavily modifying my upcoming G80 M3. Downpipe, midpipe, wheels, dropped ride height - that's it for me. No tune, no E85, no port injection for me.

The old saying goes - you pay to play. I think it's fair to say that BMW generally are okay with exhaust mods, but when it comes to messing with the ECU/introducing a piggyback that increases boost targets - you're in murky water. But there are loads of threads about warranties, including someone that claims to be a "BMW master tech", but this is the internet, and I can claim to be Batman if I wanted to, so be diligent in your research.
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 8