02-24-2021, 02:10 PM   #40
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoale View Post
I'm thinking more capable but maybe less dynamic/engaging - certainly on the street. I say this given grip is so high, power is so linear, shifting is smooth and automatic, NVH is so low, cabin is more insulated, and steering is still unobtrusive in terms of chatter, bump steer, tramlining, etc. You can drive above your skill level on the track w/o any daily discomfort on the street. Honestly, you could say the same thing about new 911s. Sounds like this will check the box for the majority of target audience, and there is still the M2 for those that long for a more engaging experience.
I hear yah but I will say cabin being more insulated and smoother driving car is what many M3 owners wanted. I have seen countless comments on this forum from prior F80 drivers who proclaim the car was too harsh and uncomfortable for daily use. Some even attest to those attributes being why they switch to the M340i.

Anyhow this was expected since it's a new generation. The biggest mistake we all make is that what's good for me or what I desire is what everybody else wants. However, that's not the case, some want manuals, some want auto combined with all the electric gizmos on this planet. Then we wonder why it's challenging for manufacturers to build the perfect car. Many of these cars will be driven like camry's. Let's focus on the positive, we can still get a manual in 2021, that right there is epic and outshine the majority of the negatives one can find with this car.
solstice5457.50
SYT_Shadow11493.00
Jbonly211081.50
AHall981.50