03-16-2024, 12:40 PM   #14
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWbiker View Post
There are so many possible choices, ranging from modest mom-and-pop places (or worse), on up to modern motels. Restaurants as well.

If you start on Skyline Drive (immediately north of the BRP), you can camp, or rent cabins, right on or just off of the Drive.

There are motels in or near the major and minor cities along the way: Roanoke, Boone, Asheville, etc. Also there are places in or near the small towns: Spruce Pine, Little Switzerland, and so forth. There are campgrounds as well, although not integrated with the parkway (as far as I know) in the same way as on Skyline Drive.

If you enjoy the twisties, make sure to have fun on the switchbacks that are access roads to the BRP. Some are more fun than others.

The BRP has a maximum speed limit of 45 MPH. In some places it is slower. It is patrolled.

Keep your eye on the weather. One beautiful sunny day, I was riding the BRP on one of my Beemers, headed south of Asheville. All of a sudden I rode into a cloud. I couldn’t see my hand in front of my face. I turned around. There was no reaching the Tail of the Dragon that day.

Enjoy!
Had that near same experience on our trip in May 2001. The clouds were pouring over the mountain West-to-East curling over us and dropping into the valley to the east. It made for a white tunnel effect; however, the road remained clear. One of the coolest driving experiences I've had.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0