View Single Post
      09-10-2021, 09:30 PM   #54
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasya152 View Post
The other huge let down of the Zf is there is no engine braking at 6-7k rpm. When you let of the throttle, it just feels like it's coasting. You constantly have to ride the brake to slow down enough not to hit the car in front of you. This is especially noticeable after driving an e90 back to back with the zf, which feels like you slammed the brake when letting of near the redline. It's awesome and gives you so much nice car control because your not unsettling the car to reduce speeds for just a bit by having to tap the brakes
I still have my E93, as I'll likely keep it forever. And yeah, no retardation (or very little) in the ZF tranny. But that's by design. It's a torque converter.

And sometimes, the shifts are quick, but slurred...or smoothed out. So you lose a lot of the drama of the DCT.

The new G8X is more of a grown up experience than previous generations, borderline GT-ish...but still HIGHLY capable at the track or on country roads. But you can't disguise it's size and weight.

It's all about compromises. It's not perfect. And no M car has been. It's set up to be a daily-driven, very-sporty car based off a 3-series platform, so there's inherent compromises. This is not a purpose built sports car, so we need to keep that in perspective. That's why Vettes, Caymans and 911s have a distinct advantage...built from the ground up to be agile and swift.

For many, they should simply stick with their F8Xs and E9Xs, and even E46s. If you love any of these cars, just keep them and drive the hell out of them. No need to chase speed in the newer generations, just enjoy the thrills of the older M cars...the smiles/miles ratio is irreplaceable.

I do like my G82, A LOT, but it's definitely "different". I certainly didn't buy it trying to replicate the E9X or F8X experience (I had a 2015 M4 in 2018, for a year). No way is my G82 ever going to sound as glorious as my E93 with the full Akra exhaust. So I'm not even going to try, as I'd just be wasting money...lowering the G8X's exhaust note a few octaves and adding needless burbles and such. Those sounds simply don't do it for me...as I've been spoiled by BMW's high-revving V8.

So, different experiences in different Ms...but have no doubt, this G8X is still a proper M car in terms of level of performance. But it feels different.

I'd test drive it before buying it. I did, and I liked it, a lot, more than the F8X...but if anyone has an F8X and loves it, I'd just keep it. This one's different. Don't try to replicate the F8X experience, you need to be ready to move on from the F8X platform before purchasing the G8X.

Last edited by KevinGS; 09-11-2021 at 11:31 PM..
Appreciate 2
CanuckM673.00