View Single Post
      09-17-2020, 07:20 PM   #28
VDRZANE
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Cool Great summary from Snareman

I was also at the Indy M event yesterday and viewed the new M3 & M4. I'm not going to reiterate what's already been said but will add a few observations:

* Both cars had the M carbon fiber sport kits. It was explained to me that this will obviously be an add-on extra (no cost known) and could be done piecemeal. The parts adorned were the following: side mirrors (caps?), front splitter including brake cooling duct channels, rear valence, exhaust tip covers and trunk lip spoiler. Those are the pieces I noticed in the dim lighting. I'm not sure if the side gill covers were CF. Overall, and especially in conjunction with the CF roof (which has 2 "ribs" running down it - very cool) the CF looked amazing and I'm sure will be very costly.

* IOM green looks awesome! I think it was closest to a kelly green (although a quick google search gives a bunch of different kelly greens, so...) more like a forest green. The metallic really pops. I can see where some people say it was turquoise but only at certain angles of the spot lights - it is NOT a turquoise green overall.

* SM yellow is very yellow - what can I say? It is a bold release color, which is what they are going for. This color will not be for the masses, but I like to see BMW taking some chances. It looks cool in the yellow, even if it's not for your garage. The yellow as offset with all of the black trim and black CF made for a nice contrast.

* I thought the interior of the car looked great. The M3 had two-tone orangey colored leather with black inserts. The orange reminded me of cinnamon leather from the E46 M3. The fiber weave CF trim was very unique and quite interesting. I hope it doesn't collect dust/dirt easily. The M4 had the 'not-for-everyone' blue seats with yellow trim. These seats had CF on the back and were an optional upgrade of some sort. Very hard core track oriented and most likely NOT very good for daily driving. YMMV.

* Only one of the cars (I forget which one) had the big sensor in the driver's side grill. Maybe that's associated with a certain tech package for active cruise control etc? I wish they better integrated the sensor within the grill's horizontal slats because, even though both it and the slats are black, it really looks oddly placed.

* 20" 285 rears and 19" 275 front tires (not sure if this has been reported)

* The roof definitely had rail attachments on the side of the CF insert for bike carriers etc. They are not IN the CF. I know someone was asking about this topic.

* The front and rear fender flares are not as pronounced as previous M cars, as has been discussed. I believe this car is wider to begin with, hence the less need of huge flares. They are still flared and do look tasteful.

* Massive brakes - I think they were both $8k carbon ceramic.

* Both cars had the BMW laser headlights with the blue piece inside.

* Based on the performance of the current M cars, I am less excited by the design (sadly), but more excited by the promise of the performance to come. Fingers crossed.

* I found it funny that the guy I was speaking with would not comment on the engine. I asked to open the hood and was declined.

* Overall impression is that the cars look great. Yes, you can pick and choose things that look good or not so good, but OVERALL it is a great looking car. I'm sure nobody who buys one will be sorry.

If I think of more, I'll add later.
Appreciate 4
Jcali861479.00
JTO245276.00
heavyD^23688.50