08-06-2014, 02:02 PM   #13
PABrian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic6 View Post
this is available. i have it and it works. call your SA and get your vehicles password. they had to set it up before you took ownership. then you can sit in your car, hit the SOS button and set it up with a person on that line. very simple.
Going along with this...you'll want to speak with your CA, not SA (I'm assuming that was just a typo). The log-in information used for that app is the email you have on file with BMW Assist and the password you set up with them the first time you called them (you did your initial acquaintance call, right? If not, you should!). In fact, you shouldn't even need to talk to your CA. Just hit the SOS button and tell them you're wanting to set up the My BMW Remote app and they can walk you through that.

Once you're in, you can beep your horn, flash your lights, LOCK your doors (this will NOT arm your alarm!), locate your car on a map, and send an address to your car's Messages folder for you to retrieve next time you get in. Just remember that when beeping/flashing/locking there can be a delay of up to a few minutes. That signal gets sent from your phone to the BMW Assist servers, which then try to remotely locate your car. This is what can take some time.

You cannot remotely unlock a car. If you do that, it brings up the prompt to call a number because BMW Assist has to speak directly to the owner of the car before sending the unlock signal. In the past you used to be able to remotely unlock the car, but a number of concerns arose bringing up the possibility of someone finding a lost phone, opening the app, locating a car, and unlocking it.
Appreciate 0