Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer 2019 View Post
I also don't understand why BMW has covers over these vents in the first place. They don't completely block the flow, just reduce it by what appears to be about 50% -70%. They do state clearly that the covers need to be in place during all driving other than on a track, but I have not seen a reason stated for this. Anyone?
As Ximian said - it's to keep crap out of your rotors. I just did my first detail after 900 miles and decided to remove the covers. I have the carbon package so these intakes are vacuums for leaves, pebbles, dead bugs, and even a screw. Im glad that didn't get shot into my rotor/wheel/heat shield.

Was originally thinking of taking these off for spirited back road drives - but now I think I'll leave them on 100% of the time except for track days.
It's interesting that they would leave the carbon fiber intakes so open for everything off the road to be sucked in but the brake duct vents they recommend closed when not on track. :