View Single Post
      08-10-2021, 12:51 PM   #3
F3XX
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer 2019 View Post
I remove mine whenever I go to a track just because BMW recomends it, and it is easy to do, and then reinstall them at the end of the day. Opening them will obviously increase the air flow, and potentially lower the temps of the calipers; pads; rotors; wheels; and tires to some extent. I am willing to trust the engineers on this, but I am still curious. I see tire temps as high as @ 175F (dash display) with them open. Maybe I will leave them in place sometime to see if the temps go higher. Science! Mom and Dad would be so proud.

I also don't understand why BMW has covers over these vents in the first place. They don't completely block the flow, just reduce it by what appears to be about 50% -70%. They do state clearly that the covers need to be in place during all driving other than on a track, but I have not seen a reason stated for this. Anyone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer 2019 View Post
I remove mine whenever I go to a track just because BMW recomends it, and it is easy to do, and then reinstall them at the end of the day. Opening them will obviously increase the air flow, and potentially lower the temps of the calipers; pads; rotors; wheels; and tires to some extent. I am willing to trust the engineers on this, but I am still curious. I see tire temps as high as @ 175F (dash display) with them open. Maybe I will leave them in place sometime to see if the temps go higher. Science! Mom and Dad would be so proud.

I also don't understand why BMW has covers over these vents in the first place. They don't completely block the flow, just reduce it by what appears to be about 50% -70%. They do state clearly that the covers need to be in place during all driving other than on a track, but I have not seen a reason stated for this. Anyone?

I took my car up to Vegas when the temperature was around 110 f and my tire temps only got to like 135f with the brake ducts in.
Appreciate 0