10-15-2021, 07:08 AM   #5
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
I love my 2008 BMW 128i 6MT w/ sports package with 136,000 miles on the odo. Since purchasing it I've added some other very nice vehicles (Z4MR, 911 C4S) which satisfy the performance itch but do not have near the comfort nor practicality the 128i has.

Lately been thinking of getting a 4 door vehicle with better performance, more rear seat room, 6MT and AWD for better winter performance (as this is now my defacto winter car). Tried the F30 335xi 6MT but while the engine was incredible the steering and shifting inputs felt a bit soft and floaty to me.

Thinking now of going back to same era and looking at a 2011 335xi 6MT sedan with N55 engine, maybe of similar mileage or a bit less if my budget can swing it.

Anyone have experience between these two cars to advice what I'll experience overall including driving dynamics if I make this switch? What would I love about the new car and what if anything would I miss dearly on the 128i?
Nice garage list. Regarding the N55, earlier versions have had rod bearing issues, especially the first MY 2011’s. If your heart is set on getting one, get a PPI. AWD adds weight and IMHO RWD with snows will probably do just fine. In Upstate NY in my younger days I used a e28 with snows and handled great w/o traction control or any other assistance that newer cars have today. When I’m driving in the Midwest I throw snows on my f36 RWD and it handles great.

Edit: just saw that you’re in Toronto. But hey, use chains!
Appreciate 0