CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
I appreciate the write up and the experience. Not sure I agree with you here so correct me if I am wrong. The M3 has always been predominantly a street car for those that owned it. A minority of owners across the F8x gen track their cars, although you and I are in that minority.

However, hasn't that been the same for M3 owners across all 5 generations? If anything, it seems to me as a casual observer that people track their personal cars now more than ever.

The proliferation of driving clubs (with easy access on the internet to join and view events), the existence of websites like motorsportsreg that send me an email for any event with 250 miles of my zip, the videos we all see of laptimes, etc., it just seems more and more people are buying their own helmet on amazon and showing up to the track.
I don't have any hard statistics to share, but it seems to me that folks that got into an M3 in the early days accepted the inherent compromises that came with the track focus of the car, even those that would rarely take it to the track, if at all.

I think it is simply a question of sheer increase in volume of M3(4) produced and sold over the generations, the car has simply become more mainstream, and the majority of folks now only want the fastest and "best looking" 3/4 series.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 12-07-2020 at 09:16 PM..
Appreciate 1