Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaxXHD View Post
Android based makes it easier to develop on. From a programming pov, Linux is far more powerful, but much more difficult to develop on. It’s much more in house development, whereas Android gives them SDKs and various of other third party tools to work with.

It is likely a bet towards standardization and efficiency of developing. Also apps that work on android systems can easily work on BMWs with little to no effort. Time is money, and BMW is banking on Android doing the heavy lifting for development and features, not their own programmers anymore. Likely where all the car industry is going. Also it runs on slower, more efficient hardware better, ARM architecture vs x86.

Looks like idrive 9 is the death of the idrive controller. Can’t say that impresses me, even as I defend the touch screen climate menu of my car.

Idrive 8.5 is likely not that much different from idrive 8 SP21 from the ix, 7 series, and 2AT. Maybe a few more small features.

Don’t worry folks, idrive 7 and 8 aren’t obsolete yet. This is just really a matter of planning for the future, not the present.The biggest enticing changes will come long term 5+ years from now.
Actually Bmw said it's design/ergonomics... It's here to stay for certain models

.https://www.bmwblog.com/2022/04/20/b...icking-around/
Appreciate 1