View Single Post
      11-22-2023, 06:22 AM   #11
M4_Randy
@M4_randy
Rep
Drives: BMW G82 M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS View Post
In my experience, the one hour of driving at 70 mph doesn't work.

One of my team members used to work a lot with DPF and OPF filters when he worked at Lubrizol and was quite familar with this issue. He told me that DPF's have active regeneration cycles that are powered by the cars electrical system. However, OPFs, in petrol-powered cars, have no such system. They are regenerated passively, from the heat in the exhaust/OPF filter.

In order to regenerate an OPF, his advice is consistent with that provided on here. You need to ensure that the engine is at full operating temperature, and regenerating the filter basically means burning off the soot that has built up. To do that, you have to stop the combustion by coming off the throttle and letting the car coast. With this lack of combustion, or more accurately, the very lean combustion, the temperature is temporarily elevated, and in combination with the high flow rates achieved from doing this at higher speed, the soot will start to be removed.

I don't believe there is a standard way of doing this. I just made sure that my engine was hot, and then basically did a few cycles of "around" 70 mph and lifted off for as long as was safe to do so, making sure I wasn't compromising other cars. Best done late at night on quiet stretches of road. I probably tried to do this for a couple of days, and now it is back to how it was before. My car will now upshift to 8th as low as 60 mph if I am entering the motorway in a leisurely fashion - which is not too often!
Thanks for that, i will try this and hope it will make the difference!
Appreciate 0