View Single Post
      07-06-2021, 11:31 AM   #59
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by spridge View Post
When I discussed the job with my painter, he said that BMW probably didn't paint them like this because you can't accomplish it with a fully robotic process. The entire piece has to be painted the body color, dried, then taped and painted black, tape pull while the black is still wet, then fully dried and finally clear coated. He said that the manufacturer would probably view this as a $5K "upgrade" due to the manual process.

On to your question - if you're going to reuse the skirts, then the bumpers and rockers have to be removed in order to remove those pieces without damaging the tabs that hold them on. The videos that some companies have posted showing them adding the CF side skirts are very misleading in this regard. The full job, including disassembly/assembly and the paint process described here is $2,500 - $3,000.
Great to know. Traditionally, one achieves this look with full body color trim and bolting on CF or black ABS pieces (lip and side skirts). I think that may yield an even more aggressive stance and will likely be my approach since it will probably end up costing about the same ($1-1.5k paint, $1.5-2k CF parts).
Appreciate 1
spridge646.00