View Single Post
      05-10-2021, 02:20 PM   #24
lch6257
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E93 M3-DCT,'21 G80 M3-6MT

Interesting to get a back to back perspective. I have not driven either the M3/M4 comp G80, but for me I did not want to miss my opportunity to own a manual M3 and chose the 6MT over waiting and ordering the AWD version. To offer another perspective, in addition to the G80-6MT M3, I do also own a 2012 E93 M3 Convertible in Jerez Black with 31K on it and after putting down my last 1K miles in the new M3, I peeled back the cover on the big V8 and took her for some hard pulls yesterday afternoon with my son. Couple of thoughts:

The cockpit feels smaller on the E93, quite a bit actually and my son noticed that immediately from the passenger side.

The DCT feels slower than the manual at roll off...but this is to be expected...I use the paddles a good bit and the shift control is still very very good on the DCT and in full auto it is way faster than a manual, but I prefer the engagement that you can only get from a MANUAL. I feel more connected to the 6MT drivetrain for sure. In full auto on the DCT, you could get bored, but the sound of the NA V8 overcomes that problem quite well.

I also have to say I do miss the hump as my seating position in the 2012 let's you see that hump out the front and down the hood lines which just feels sportier.

The G80 is way faster in a hard pull after second gear, but of course the sound of the E93 is wayyyy more intoxicating from both intake and exhaust, but I am modified on exhaust and have a full Eventuri intake planned for the 2012 in the future. On the G80, full M mode, drop the full hammer and you are just gone like donkey kong.....

In a hard pull, the E93 M3 is still an absolute pleasure but nowhere near as crazy fast, it also does not handle nearly as well as the G80, it does not feel as well planted, but it is still excellent.

The big difference for me is the four doors and larger interior make the G80 M3 seems so much more useable as a road trip car and much more relaxing to drive in. Not to mention the difference in the technology is leaps and bounds, but the simplicity of the analog gauges is refreshing too in the E93.

Bottom line for me, I consider myself VERY lucky to own both a four door and 2 door convertible M3 and I would not give up either of them from my stable.

Now I need an E46 and maybe one day a Porsche GT4 or a GT3 RS...I need more garage space....lol

Last edited by lch6257; 05-10-2021 at 02:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
mmckenzie216.50