View Single Post
      12-11-2020, 12:03 PM   #13
gpdriver17
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post
Pretty fair to say most people aren’t buying M cars for the same reason they used to a few generations back.

It’s strange how most performance enthusiasts these days just rave about quarter mile times and horsepower figures. I drove past a random mechanics shop the other day in my 991 GT3 (with loads of aftermarket aero that ultimately make it slower in a straight line, funny enough) when a dude screamed out “I’ll smoke you in the quarter mile in my Civic”, I politely grinned and said “that’s great!” But I don’t understand the obsession with horsepower and quarter mile times. More power is awesome, but it’s not the be all and all of things. I’m aware everyone owns their cars for different reasons, but horsepower numbers and quarter mile times ultimately boil down to how deep your wallet is, not how skilled you are at anything other than reacting to lights.

Whatever makes you happy, I guess
Yeah, they have changed a lot. I used to love light cars I could blast down twisty roads on or take to the track. A Mazda Miata was actually my favorite car, over the E36 and E46 M3. But I moved to a city where I'm not close to any good roads or race tracks. The best I can do is go fast when traffic opens up. So these days 0-60 and 1/4 mile make a car fun to me. I think a lot of people feel the same with traffic these days. It's not about proving I'm better than anyone else, it's just fun.
2023 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Appreciate 3