10-15-2021, 04:40 PM   #27
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
I've driven the 840i, M850i and M8. Of the three, I'd take the 850 unless money is no object, and then it's a no-brainer.

However, I'm one of those old farts who quickly tires of a loud exhaust and looks for that button to turn it down.

Just like there's nothing like the rumble of a V8, also there is nothing like the shriek of an inline 6. At low RPMs, the V8 wins hands-down. At high RPMs, give me the 6.

For me, the compromise that BMW made in the G8x platform is nearly perfect - I can close the valves at will and make it whisper quiet (relatively speaking) or I can open them up and hear it scream. Could it be louder? Oh yeah, fer sure. I've had cars like that, and it gets old really quick. Think 5 hour road trip.

Money no object, if I had to pick between the 8 and the 4, I'd still pick the 4. It's actually more comfortable, a wider range of adjustments for the suspension, handles better, weighs less, and looks nearly as good on the outside. The 8 interior with full leather is a step up, for sure, but the 4 is still nothing to sneeze at. And I save, what, $50K? Because money is still an issue for most of us. Otherwise, we'd be on the McLaren forum.
The only issue with the inline 6's of BMW, is that they don't sound like a 2JZ or an RB25/26. Those sounded amazing.

The video someone posted in this thread with the aftermarket IOMG M3 sounded ok, but it sounds like a 350Z, which is a V6.

And there is nothing more annoying of a 6 cyl sound, than a freaking 350Z LOL
Appreciate 0