United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
If you drive aggressively in warm months, you probably would regret the AS tires. If you drive in snow/ice in winter you probably would regret the AS tires. They are good for someone who wants a single tire option and doesn't expect best performance in any specific condition. They do many things well but never best per season.
If anyone is finding limits of all-season tires on public roads, they should rethink some life choices.

My recommendation is a summer set with a good all-season tire and a dedicated winter set. On a 500 HP RWD car in the summer, even performance summer tires will break traction.

One way to think about this is there are going to be a few weeks or even months where conditions are too warm for winter tires resulting in their heavy wear and even worse traction than all-season tires. A worn winter tire will be less effective next time it encounters snow. Or it can be too cold for summer tires resulting in scary situations.

Chicago is perfect for all-seasons tires. While some like a PS4s can be good in the rain, once it's below 50F and wet, an all-season will perform much better. A lot of standing water? The all-season tire's typically deeper groves and tread can be a life-safer.

There are "all-season" and "all-weather" tires - the former is biased for summer performance and the other is biased for winter performance with snow traction. The two leaders for all-season performance tires are the Michelin A/S 3+ and the Continental DWS 06. Within those two options, the Michelin is biased for summer performance and the Continental is biased for wet/snow performance.

I've had the DWS 06 and it was wonderful. I've driven it on a 535 with xDrive in heavy snow without any problems.

• Winter tires are unsafe on ice. They perform better than all-weather, all-season, and summer tires on ice, but they're still unsafe.
  • Avoid driving during icy conditions or go very slow.
Lol, limits of all seasons on everyday roads, you can hit that in light rain on a moderate corner. I agree w the confidence of all season tires, but I am not so arrogant as to suggest that summer tires have virtually no benefit. News flash they do. Even in everyday driving with JUST bmws. Its all about what you want to get out of your car, and what climate you live in.
Appreciate 1
Transfer5255.00