United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
If you drive aggressively in warm months, you probably would regret the AS tires. If you drive in snow/ice in winter you probably would regret the AS tires. They are good for someone who wants a single tire option and doesn't expect best performance in any specific condition. They do many things well but never best per season.
If anyone is finding limits of all-season tires on public roads, they should rethink some life choices.

My recommendation is a summer set with a good all-season tire and a dedicated winter set. On a 500 HP RWD car in the summer, even performance summer tires will break traction.

One way to think about this is there are going to be a few weeks or even months where conditions are too warm for winter tires resulting in their heavy wear and even worse traction than all-season tires. A worn winter tire will be less effective next time it encounters snow. Or it can be too cold for summer tires resulting in scary situations.

Chicago is perfect for all-seasons tires. While some like a PS4s can be good in the rain, once it's below 50F and wet, an all-season will perform much better. A lot of standing water? The all-season tire's typically deeper groves and tread can be a life-safer.

There are "all-season" and "all-weather" tires - the former is biased for summer performance and the other is biased for winter performance with snow traction. The two leaders for all-season performance tires are the Michelin A/S 3+ and the Continental DWS 06. Within those two options, the Michelin is biased for summer performance and the Continental is biased for wet/snow performance.

I've had the DWS 06 and it was wonderful. I've driven it on a 535 with xDrive in heavy snow without any problems.

• Winter tires are unsafe on ice. They perform better than all-weather, all-season, and summer tires on ice, but they're still unsafe.
  • Avoid driving during icy conditions or go very slow.
Appreciate 0