United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Depends on your driving habits, environment, and what you expect from your tires. Yes AS tires will decrease performance in summer and have limited use in freezing temps but much better than summer tires in winter conditions.

If you drive aggressively in warm months, you probably would regret the AS tires. If you drive in snow/ice in winter you probably would regret the AS tires. They are good for someone who wants a single tire option and doesn't expect best performance in any specific condition. They do many things well but never best per season.
Thanks. I should clarify, I've only ever had all-seasons, so I don't really know the true performance potential of high performance summer tires on a daily driver.

I do like to drive aggressively, although opportunities are limited living in Chicagoland.

As for winter driving, I don't really need high performance as much as just being able to get by, so all-seasons would be totally fine for me in the winters. It's really the summer performance I'm questioning. Will going to highly rated all-season tires reduce summer performance to such a noticeable amount compared to the stock summer tires that it justifies me spending significantly more money for 2 sets of tires as opposed to just 1 set of tires?
When I lived in south florida (never any snow) I had all season tires just bc the heavy and sudden rain can be a problem with summer times. If I was going to go summer tires it would only be if I could easily do a change to winter tires if I lived somewhere cold. If you want to play it safe and you live somewhere snowy and hilly, all seasons 3 season and winters in winter is the play IMO.
Appreciate 0