Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
Hello,

Let's say you are going to buy the G8X M3/4 and drive it somewhere with a legit winter (USA New England or midwest, Canada, Northern EU, etc), how are you configuring it to handle that?

-Transmission (MT or Auto)
-Drive (RWD vs AWD)
-Stock wheel and tire choice
-Winter wheel and tire plan
-other weather tactics
-Transmission (MT or Auto) = I've driven both and don't recall there's a material difference between the 2 in terms of snow/ice traction but I do feel like I have more control with a manual.
-Drive (RWD vs AWD) = I drive F80 in Toronto with Blizzaks and during a snow storm, if I lose momentum going up even small hills (say, 10% incline), I will get stuck. AWD is definitely better for driving on snow/ice and I would get that on G8x if snow/ice traction is a concern.
-Stock wheel and tire choice = Not clear what you mean but stock summer or all-season tires won't do for M3/4 in winter; you need snow tires for "legit" winters like in Minnesota, Buffalo or most of Canada.
-Winter wheel and tire plan = I kept the same staggered setup as my summer tires but with minus sizing (-1, one size down), though a square setup is probably better.
-other weather tactics = (1) I hear heavy sandbags (> 100lbs) in trunk improves RWD traction. (2) when driving in a snow or ice storm, do best to anticipate ahead and not lose momentum.
Appreciate 2