Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Pilot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
If you reference the other wagon thread insiders have noted that bmw made specific design choices that are not allowed under us rules because the wagon platform was not intended for the US market. It's not as simple as just DOT testing, the car needs redesign for the US.... and they also shared the cost would be 55million.
I'd like to learn more about this "redesign" that you keep talking about. Can you please elaborate? US spec cars require emission related changes (e.g. secondary cats vs OPF) as well as some minor cosmetic differences such as amber side markers etc. All of these would be carried from the US spec G80 anyway and most of the investment would need be to made for the US regulatory certifications (DOT, NHTSA, EPA etc.). I'm not being sarcastic or anything. Maybe I'm missing something and genuinely curious what else needs to redesigned for this car that cannot be inherited from the US spec G80.
I'm going to misstate specifics so I would pop over to the other wagon related thread and review it but the tldr is: amongst other non-us complaint items the battery is in the tailgate area, under US rules it constitutes a lethal hazard to occupants of the vehicle so would require re-engineering.
Appreciate 0