View Single Post
      01-25-2021, 03:28 PM   #21
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

I don't know whether BMW understands the importance of this transition. Until now, they could benefit from their "better" and "purer" ICE architecture to present a car that appeals to drivers. This came at the cost of interiour space, mechanical complexity and assembly costs.

But now, the game has changed entirely and all manufacturers are put on the same level. Polestar China, Hyundai Korea and others are working on universal platforms that they're willing to sell to increase advantage of scale. There is no longer a compromise to build a drivers car: it's just a preference between soft and reduced dynamic capability or hard and increased dynamic capability. On top, power is (almost) free, the limitation is more in the battery that has to be able to deliver incredible current bursts. But also this is a market universal challenge, not a brand specific one.

So a major part of the BMW heritage has become obsolete for the future. Building a shared platform starting from the design rules from the past doesn't seem a good start to me.
Appreciate 1
ted99242.00