11-09-2022, 09:07 AM   #9
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Currently searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB1 View Post
I'm a little surprised that it appears you want the sportier ride and handling but went for the non sporty model. We haven't driven the car yet but we are going to.

I've got an X3 M40 and the wife a current gen X1 at the moment and the feel and DNA is very much the same across both of the cars. Hers doesn't have the power but it is still lots of fun to drive and has that all important feel that a BMW needs that Audi's as a comparison are terrible for.

I hope the X1 hasn't lost that DNA when we go to give it a test drive I have to say.

The car is actually for my mom, hence no sport package. I mainly stick to BMW sedans and coupes. That being said, aside from the X7 and X5, the previous X1, current X3 and X2 have always been class leading in driving dynamics. Even without the m sport package.

I'm actually curious to get your opinion when you drive it. The new X1 is missing that BMW feel and magic. To me, it feels even more muted than an Audi Q3. I think BMW thinks people want that numb, isolated vault like feeling and they're probably not wrong.

Having driven both back to back now, the previous X1 was way more fun to drive. I had an X3 rental for a week and even that was more fun despite it's bigger size. I hope they dont do this to the new x3. BMW is killing their sedans in the same way too. Pretty soon they'll have to change the ultimate driving machine slogan.
2006 E90 330i RWD
2002 E46 330i RWD
Appreciate 0