02-22-2021, 09:59 PM   #17
pbar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 992 GTS, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW4LYF View Post
SF has them on display today & tomorrow
Thanks for the tip ... I had emailed BMWSF several times asking them to let me know when they had a car to look at, but predictably they didn't bother.

Drove down an hour ago to take a look. They aren't quite as bad as I was expecting (admittedly it was dark!), and the interior is fairly nice. CF paddle shifters were a nice surprise. The carbon seats, with the 'between the legs pleasure dome attachment' are actually quite comfortable and you might stop noticing the lump after a while. Grab handles on the side of the seats may come in useful for passengers, and they aren't too awkward to get into. I also liked the electric 'get in the back seat' feature when you tilt the seat forward.

I would forgive a lot if the car actually drove well. For me the gearbox is still the main unknown. I've been reading up on ZF transmissions and it is actually possible to install them with a fluid clutch instead of a torque converter, in which case most shifts are 'clutch-to-clutch' (I don't believe that BMW did this). I also read that the deployment on the Giulia QV is tweaked so much that people have trouble 'creeping' the car or stopping smoothly because the torque converter locks up very quickly. There *may* be some hope if BMW-M know what they're doing.
Appreciate 0