View Single Post
      01-17-2022, 12:18 AM   #7
T3F
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3Cx

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearcritic View Post
I had a X3M but sold it after deciding a SUV is still an SUV at the end of the day. If you're looking for straight line performance you'll get it, but physics always wins in the corners. I think the X3M is perhaps one of the best handling SUVs I have driven though and I hear in that regards the Macan is even better.

I think the long wait will be worth it for the G80
Thanks for the input! I actually was able to drive an X3M today, and I have to say that, while it's a gorgeous car and very fast, I found the suspension really, really stiff, to the point that I think it would be insufferable on the roads around me. It did corner without any hint of body roll, but didn't really feel great (I could always feel the weight fighting me) doing it. The Macan and F-Pace definitely feel much nicer to drive (and ride way better) to me even if their handling limits aren't quite as high (though I think the Macan's are).

I think so, though it depends on a lot of factors. I'm number 4 on the waitlist -- do I get an allocation next month, or in 3-4 months? Does production and shipping take 1-2 months or 3-4 months? Does BMW put the touchscreens back in these by the time mine is produced (and do they pull even more features in the meantime, as they've done on lower-tier models)? Does the rumored 7/22 LCI come to fruition? A "nightmare" scenario would be having a car built in May or June without the touchscreen, then having the same shipping difficulties many are experiencing, meaning no delivery until July-September, at which point LCI vehicles are already in production with ID8. Having to choose between taking delivery of an older car with reduced features or getting back on the waitlist (which is probably going to be longer than it is now) and starting all over again is not where I want to be 6 months from now. I'm increasingly thinking the pragmatic play is to get a Model 3 Performance or an F-Pace SVR, both of which can be had quickly, and circle back in a year when everything is hopefully sorted out, but I'm not sure I'll be totally happy with that given how badly I want an M3Cx. Ugh, these are good problems to have, but it's still crazy and frustrating that the market is the way it is right now.
Appreciate 0