01-07-2018, 11:39 AM   #281
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
I think it's circumstantial - when I got the 235, it was my 6th BMW. My previous two cars had been 135s (one N54, one N55). The car was marketed as a true competitor or follow up to the 1M...and that, it simply wasn't. I liked the older E82s better in almost every aspect.

I can absolutely see why someone new to the brand or RWD would like it - but it was a complete let down for me. I was expecting something much closer to a "real" M, and always felt like the car was nowhere near that.

All my own fault - I bought into the hype and ordered one of the very first cars to be delivered on the forum. Bought it sight unseen and having no test drive. Those are mistakes I haven't and won't make again, because the character of the car was completely inconsistent with my expectations for it. So I got rid of it after about 18 months and got a 981 instead, which exceeded my expectations. It all worked out in the end...I just don't agree how the car was introduced in terms of what the M perf. line was supposed to represent. It's an Audi S line, but from the BMW side. Which is totally fine and good - but that's not what I was expecting when I got it.
Interesting how different markets perceive cars, in the UK the M235i was never seen as a replacement or competitor for the 1M it was just a coupe version of the M135i and was marketed as an M performance product not a full fat M car.

I agree that the M performance models are disappointing they don't seem to offer anything more than the M sport models other than a bit more power, the drive seems pretty much the same it's a big jump in feel to the M cars in my view.

BMW wanted to match Audi I guess with their "S-line" "S" and "RS" line up so went "M sport" "M performance" "M".
ASAP10162.50